In the previous post, we have discussed the benefits of using Syslog Server and how to configure Syslog Server in GNS3. In this post, we will explain how to configure Syslog Server in Cisco Packet Tracer.
You can use Syslog Server to collect all the logs in a central location and then you can use these logs for the troubleshooting devices. We will the following topology to demonstrate how to configure Syslog Server in Cisco Packet Tracer.
Connect the Router and Server using Fast Ethernet interfaces. Configure 192.168.1.100/24 IP address on Server. Open the Server properties dialog box and select the Services tab. Next, select SYSLOG in the left pane and verify that the SYSLOG service is set to On.
Steps to Configure Syslog Server in Cisco Packet Tracer
Once you have completed the preceding tasks, now you can configure Syslog Server. To do so, you need to perform the following steps:
- On Router, execute the following commands to configure appropriate IP address.
Router(config)-if#ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
- Next, use the logging host <syslog server IP address> command to specify the Syslog server address on Cisco router.
Router(config)#logging host 192.168.1.100
- Next, execute the logging trap <severity level> command to specify the log types and category (called severity level). For example, use the debug log (severity level 7). You may use any other severity level that you may wish to test.
Router(config)#logging trap 7
- Next, use the debug ip <protocol> command to enable debugging for a protocol. In this case, we will use ICMP protocol.
Router#debug ip icmp
- Next, execute the ping 192.168.1.100 command to generate some ICMP packets to test your configuration.
- Next, move on to Syslog Server console, and examine the output. In the following figure, you can see the sample output of the Syslog server.
In the preceding output, you can see the logs collected by Syslog Server for Cisco router. That’s all you need to do to configure Syslog Server in Cisco Packet Tracer to collect logs for Cisco routers. Hope, it helped you and you have enjoyed this article. Do share the article to help others too.